The woodland comprises two blocks dissected by the A87 in a bend in the river Garry and is relatively small by local comparison. The mix of species together with some areas of birch and the topography especially next to the river Garry, present the woodland with an attractiveness and diversity which is not usually found in commercial woodlands.
Most of the woodland is classified ‘Plantation on Ancient Woodland Site’ (PAWS). This means that prior to the current woodland which was planted in 1956, the site hosted a native woodland which had been growing continuously since at least 1750.
In spring 2018 we carried out our first timber harvesting operation, implementing our new 20 year Forest Plan. The plan incorporates the community's priorities at the time the woodland was purchased, with a focus on improving biodiversity, amenity, and enterprise, while still retaining strong elements of commercial timber production.
The first step in achieving these aims is to begin the gradual process of converting the even-aged and neglected plantation into an uneven-aged and diverse woodland with a bigger proportion of native species which is much better for wildlife, more pleasant for people to visit, but still produces commercial timber of a high standard.